Monday, February 13, 2012

Ghost to the Post

Freddie Solomon passed away at the age of 59.
It is with sadness that I report the passing of Freddie Solomon today.  He was a truly kind man who enriched the lives of everyone he touched.  A month ago I wrote a piece about "Fabulous Freddie" called "The Ghost" detailing the brief interactions I had with Freddie in my adolescence.

Freddie Solomon served as a youth mentor for the last two decades.


Freddie taught me many things that I did not fully realize until I took inventory of all the great people who have influenced me in a positive manner as I struggle to be a good father, husband, person, and leader.  We could all stand to learn a lot from this mighty man.  He devoted his life to helping at-risk youth in the Tampa, FL area after his retirement from the NFL.


"Freddie Solomon was a dear friend and a great teammate," Hall of Fame quarterback Joe Montana said. "There was no one who gave more on and off the field than Freddie. The kindness he demonstrated was inspirational to all that knew him. The warmth of his smile will be forever embedded in my heart."


King Solomon said,"Train up a child in the way that he should go, and when he is old, he will not depart from it."


Thank you King Freddie.  You are already missed.





No comments:

Post a Comment